Sunday 15 January 2012

Recycle ALL The Christmas Trees!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

We're starting to run out of people...

Seriously, 14 days in and it's getting harder to get a solid schedule of people who will put up with us. So I decided to go somewhere where people have to put up with me; because I am volunteering today.

Every year the local Scouts go through the city and pick up everyone's old Christmas trees. They bring 'em on down to a designated lot where they get recycled. Into... smaller wood.

I happen to have a dump truck, and therefore decided that I could be of help this year. 10 AM on a Saturday and we picked up some of the scouts in the truck.

I now know that the bucket on my dump truck can hold precisely 25 Christmas trees. That's almost 3 cubic trees, which is actually the unit that we measure dump truck buckets in.

Had a good time, got to know the scouts. I didn't ask if I could use their names, so we'll just refer to them collectively as "the scouts". Here is the result of our collective work:


Service really is a good way to get to know people. Normally the scouts probably wouldn't give me the time of day, being the washed up old fart that I am. But they had to put up with me, since there aren't many people who own a dump truck that are willing to wake up before 10 AM on a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment